About

Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween Day 2013 on Pitkin Ave in Brownsville, Brooklyn


Brooklyn, you know how much I emphasize on where I'm from and proud of been part of Brownsville, Brooklyn. Here is where my family landed when they came from Puerto Rico.

Brownsville gave me such pleasure on Oct 31 to see Pitkin Ave filled with children on Halloween Day. When I was growing up, and I'm not going to say what year, it was fun going Trick or Treating on Pitkin Ave. 

Pitkin Ave was always packed with children and their costumes and store owners were outside giving out candy to the children. As the years went by, it got kind of hard to go on Pitkin Ave on Halloween. 

Crime rate started going up, parents was not taking their children on Pitkin for Halloween. The store owners was closing down early, and Pitkin was a deserted place on Halloween Day. It made me sad, that my granddaughters could and would not experience the fun their mother and grandmother had on Halloween Day.

Brooklyn, Pitkin Ave was a live with the sounds of children. My daughter ran upstairs to tell me, bring the camera down and come look at something. I almost cried. It bought me back to what we did on Halloween Day.  

Pitkin Ave was packed with children and their mothers dress to empress with their beautiful costumes and the sounds of Trick or Treat. Some of the store owners was outside giving out candies to our children.

Guardian Angels were patrolling the streets to make sure everything went down smoothly. Thank you for that. Brownsville, was and will continue to be what I saw when I was growing up. It's time to take control of our neighborhood and show Brooklyn, what we are made of and that is, we are a community and we have positive things going on here also. 

I want to thank Mo, he is the owner of Toys & Party Central located on 1665 Pitkin Ave. He was still giving out candy when the rest of the stores ran out. For those store owners who stood open to give our children treat I thank you. 


































No comments:

Post a Comment